We have been assigned the following brief which had been set in collaboration with Baby Cow and Channel 4:
“In your collaboritive groups of Scriptwriters , Digital Media Designers , Radio Producers and TV production students, you are required to generate a website built around a comedy concept. The website should contain up to 12 minutes of scripted material – divided between audio and video content (at least four minutes of each).
The website design should reflect the comedy theme and also include an original logo. The logo should work in a static for on the site-header and also as an animation to introduce the video sketches. The website should also be responsive in design so that it adapts to viewing on smartphone or tablet.
As a group you could also consider generating other appropriate work to enhance the idea and to promote it (e.g. characters, interviews, backstory, mock-up ideas for a game or app, etc).
You will need to create a core idea – a world that can be developed across different media platforms. Think about how you can encourage an audience to share their work online.
Consider your intended audience and target them appropriately. Your work needs to be simulating and funny enough for your audience to make the decision to share it, so you can be innovative and push boundaries.
Your target audience exists online, as opposed to on terrestirial TV. It doesn’t have to be family friendly and can push the boundaries a little more. ”
In identifying the intended audience for the comedy: teenagers and young adults we then went on to idea development stage. Where we came up with the following three ideas:
A guy discovers four walls of a room can talk. Each wall with a different personality and therefore the main character will react differently to each wall.
Based around the work life of a nightclub bouncer, with all the hilarious , outrageous and down right speechless situations. It will be a sketch show following the night, from embarrassing situations on his part.
-THE SELF HELP GROUP
A self help group where each member has an irrational fear. Each film could be focused on one particular film and their weird fear which then link on or lead on to the next.
We decided upon the ‘Four Walls’ idea as it had this real originality and gave us a great building block to work upon. Each character (wall) with an individual personality.
- WILL (MAIN CHARACTER) – Will is a timid kind of guy. Doesn’t like to cause any trouble, but sometimes can’t help himself.
- AMY (WALL VOICE) – Amy is a seductive, sensual wall. The only sister out of the four siblings. Love interest for Will.
- DAVE (WALL VOICE) – Dave is an arrogant, rude and aggressive wall. Doesn’t like Will at all, especially when Will and Amy flirt.
- CLEFT (WALL VOICE) – Cleft is laid-back, uninterested in anything and a bit of a stoner. Will gets annoyed when he comes back to the house and it smells of pot.
- SIMON (WALL VOICE) – Simon doesn’t like to get involved with his siblings’ squabbling, instead he likes to read in quiet. Some people would describe him as a bit of a nerd.
Space to be utilised for filming:
Each wall will be decorated to the personality of each character in hand using wall paper and props such as photo frames, books, posters etc. There has been discussed the option of using corplex to form four walls into this space as of the fireplace and window being an obstruction to the idea.
The DMD Team : Jake Watts , Ash Spry and I will be in charge of
- Design of the logo for the channel
- An animation of the logo
- Website design to host the channel ‘Four Walls’ on.